Béres Vineyard celebrates its 20th anniversary
This year the Béres family celebrates dual anniversary: the legendary Hungarian medication, Béres Drops was created 50 years ago by József Béres senior PhD., and the foundation of their Tokaj wine estate took place 20 years ago. „Every single drop is Béres” – the slogan underlines the fact that the family makes wines with the same dedication and outstanding quality as they work in the pharmaceutical industry.
Motivated by the love of Tokaj and its wines, in 2002 the Béres family decided to create a 45 hectare estate in the heart of the Tokaj wine region. The plantations are based on the local white grape varieties, most importantly furmint and hárslevelű.
The aim from the beginning is to create high-end wines based on local tradition and modern technology. With Béres wines they would like to show why Tokaj is so special and would also like to express the terroir where the vineyards are situated. Béres Vineyards and Winery won over 150 national and international awards in the last two decades and Béres wines are to be found on the wine lists of top hotels, and fine dining restaurants. In 2015 the estate was elected “The Most Beautiful Vineyard of Hungary”.
- The absolute winner of all 4 categories (the one who collects the most votes among the finalists) will win an all inclusive study tour in Hungary on 23–26 August, including flight ticket from and to a European destination.
- The category winner article will be posted on hungarianwines.eu – in case the article has a Hungarian theme.
- The category winner will receive an electronic badge that he or she can display on the website or blog.
- The winner of Béres category will receive a 6 bottle selection of Tokaj Aszú wines from the best vintages of the past 20 years of Béres Vineyards.
- The winner of Béres category can participate in the all inclusive study tour in Hungary on 23–26 August, excluding flight ticket.
- The finalists of Béres category will receive a 6 bottles selection of Béres wines.
- All category winners will get invitation to the award ceremony taking place on 25 August 2022 in Pannonhalma Archabbey Winery (Hungary).
Rose Murray Brown MW
Rose is Scotland’s leading award-winning drinks journalist, working as The Scotsman’s weekly drinks columnist and expert for the past 35 years. She also writes for international specialist trade and consumer magazines and broadcasts regularly on radio. She hosts one of the UK’s largest programmes of consumer wine courses, wine masterclasses, wine tours. She also works as a wine consultant for several leading companies, wineries, marketing and hotel groups.
Melinda began her career as an economist and worked at Béres Pharmaceuticals, a 100% family owned company founded by her grandfather. Béres Vineyards and Winery was established 20 years ago by her parents, and she was appointed managing director of the company in 2010. While in a pharmaceutical factory it is easier to plan , in a vineyard the weather rules and it cannot be influenced – it was a new experience for her, yet with love, patience and passion she managed to overcome the challenges. Since 2012 she shares this task with her husband. After staying at home for a while with their twins, Melinda has just returned to the active work to make the anniversary year unforgettable.
A leading Turkish wine expert, Andrea Lemieux founded The Quirky Cork, authored The Essential Guide to Turkish Wine, and frequently contributes to The Vintner Project, and Turquazz. She regularly hosts wine tastings in Istanbul and speaks at events in Turkey. Beyond Turkish wine, Andrea won the HungarianWines.EU writing competition, is completing the Wine Scholar Guild’s Italian Wine Scholar program, and holds WSET 2 with distinction certification.
Head sommelier of Laurel restaurat in Budapest, Péter Tüü is one of the most qualified wine experts in Hungary: a Wine Scholar Guild „Champagne Master-Level” diploma holder (with Highest Honors), Certified Sommelier by the Court of Master Sommeliers, national sommelier champion (in 2017 and 2019). Prior to Laurel he worked at Arany Kaviár and his wine list was selected “The Wine List of the Year” by Dining Guide. Frequent speaker and lecturer at CEWI wine school and other forums.