Sauska’s golden bubbles – success at CSWWC 2022
Two gold and one silver medal for the sparkling Tokaj wines
What is the Oscar for the movies, it is CSWWC for sparkling wines. Tom Stevenson, the “pope of sparkling wines” tasted around 1000 bubblies with Essi Avellan MW and Hungarian sparkling expert György Márkus for 11 days. Sauska is the most successful Hungarian estate of the contest and all of the three medal winner Sauska sparklings are made of grapes grown exclusively in Tokaj wine region and each of them contains some Furmint, the flagship white grape of Tokaj.
The results of the latest edition of the Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships were announced on Frday,16th September.
– Australia, France and Italy submitted their most entries.
– Italy once again took the top of the leader board for the most medals triumphing with 53 Gold and 129 Silver medals.
– France took home the most Gold medals this year with 55 Golds and 48 Silver medals.
– For the first time Australia took third place on the medal leader board, followed by the UK, USA and Spain.
– Hungary received 4 medals, 2 gold and 2 silver. Sauska Brut and Sauska Brut Magnum won gold medals, Sauska Rosé Brut and Kreinbacher 2017 extra Dry Magnum won silver medals.
Tokaj on the map of sparkling wines
(Excerpt from the press release by Sauska)
Sauska Brut repeated its success last year, and this time Sauska Brut Magnum also joined the ranks of the gold medal winners. Like last year, Sauska Rose Brut won a silver medal again. All three sparkling wines are made the traditional way, with bottle fermentation and aging. The specialty of the lots is that they are made exclusively from grapes harvested in Tokaj. Beside Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, the presence of the native Furmint varietal is decisive in all three blends.
The specialty of Sauska Brut Magnum is that it is matured in a 1.5-liter bottle which is the most ideal when it comes to classic sparkling wines. Its explosive freshness and fruitiness are due to this, while its delicate elegance is the result of 4 years of maturation.
According to the jury, Sauska Brut is “full of energy, fresh, smooth and feisty sparkling wine, with ripe pear drops, and elegant, fine, soft mousse.” In the evaluation of Sauska Rose Brut, the wine`s “friendly, easygoing character and complex fruitiness” were highlighted.
“I consider it extremely important to continuously compete internationally because they help us understand where we stand and what our chances are on the global market field. It seems that Tokaj Hegyalja has a place on the map of sparkling wines which is a great pleasure and real perspective for us.” – emphasized Krisztián Sauska, founder of the family winery.