Fabulous result: best value red wine from Villány
Top 100 wines is a publication with a unique concept: the entered wines are not nominated by the wineries, but supplied by Bortársaság (the most important wine store chain) and Auchan hypermarket. The aim is to rank the reasonable priced wines – thus to give a useful guide for every winelover. The winner red wine is Chateau Teleki Villányi Merlot 2015. László Romsics, executive manager of Csányi Winery answers our questions regarding the fabulous result.
„Whispering marketing is not enough for us”
„Dark ruby. Intense nose with red fruits and mild, refined toasty notes coming the smartly used barrel ageing. Vibrant, fruity palate, great structure, silky tannins, balance. Long finish.”
This evaluation of Chateau Teleki Villányi Merlot 2015 came from the jury of „Top 100 magyar bor 2019”. All the experts are top sommeliers (like Máté Horváth Hungarian champion) or DipWSET wine experts like Attila Fiath, president of the jury. The wines were selected by the above mentioned two retail chains, and the concept was to rank the most sold wines in each category. The advantage of this publication is that all the showcased wines are approachable wines with reasonable price. To put it in another way: you can find the top 100 best value Hungarian wines on the pages.
– Did you know about the nomination of Chateau Teleki Merlot?
– No, I didn’t.
– What was your first reaction when you heard about the No1 position?
– I was very very glad, because I could feel that this acknowledment is the fruit of all the travelling, learning, faith and team work at the cellar. It is a great achievement of the whole team, the success of our winery and our winemaker, Zoltán Szakál as well. And this No1 ranking is another evidence to prove that when it comes to quality winemaking, large wineries have the same concept as that of the small, artisan cellars. What’s more, customers expect even more from us. We have to emphasise what we do, how we think about winemaking. The so called „whispering marketing” is not enough for a large winery like ours.
– Why do you think this Merlot is so successful?
– It is very simple: it’s popular, because it is lovely to drink. And of course because it is a high quality wine from Villány at reasonable price. We make wines which are balanced and easy to drink. This result also makes it clear, that a complex, but approachable wine can get high evaluation even at strict wine contests, if made with care and knowledge. If every ingredient of a wine is at its right place, then its price and quality will find its place as well. We sold more than 15.000 bottles of this wine, so it is not a „micro label”.
– What kind of marketing helps the sales of this wine?
– We have placed promotion in the publication of Auchan, and we have also placed a joint advertisement with Auchan in VinCE Magazine, Hungary’s market leading wine magazine.
– How dou you see hypermarket sales in general?
– Hypermarkets are important partners to us, and we have exceptionally good partnership with Auchan. I think they trust our wines, trust the quality of our wines and their potential for top sales. And in return we count on them, and these facts are key elements for long term successful business for both of us.
Top 100 wines story is to be continued!