The Tornai Wine-Cellar is one of the biggest wine yards, including 60 hectares, mostly on the southern, eastern and western part of the mountain. We often sell our wines selected by the fields they were growing on: Aranyhegy, Apátsági, Grófi, Ilona, Százforduló, Szent Márton. Our grape varieties consist of the traditional Hungarian grapes (Juhfark, Hárslevelű, Olasz rizing); but extent wine yards can be found of the following varieties too: Szürkebarát, Tramini, Irsai Olivér, Zenit, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Blanc.
The wine cellar located at the hill, is the centre of up-to-date manufactory and wine tourism at the same time. The processing, fermenting and maturing area meet the requirements of the newest technology, and dispose IFS certification. After the considerate processing, our reduced wines are made using a controlled fermentation in stainless steel tanks, while the selected grapes are ripened in wooden barrels of 500litres, in the cellar of the building under equalized climate conditions. Every year we make 250-300 thousand litres of bottled wine, mainly sold on the Hungarian market although there’s an increasing interest from the export markets too.
A guest house and a wine restaurant also await guests on the picturesque Somló mountain.
- The absolute winner of all 4 categories (the one collects the most votes among the finalists) will win an all inclusive study tour in Hungary on 17–20 August, including flight ticket from and to a European destination. In case the winner cannot travel due to COVID restrictions, another option will be offered in March 2022.
- The category winner article will be posted on hungarianwines.eu.
- The category winner will receive an electronic badge that he or she can display on the website or blog.
- The winner of the category will receive a premium wine package provided by Tornai Winery.
- The winner of the category can participate in the all inclusive study tour in Hungary on 17–20 August, excluding flight ticket. The study tour includes – among others – a visit to Tornai Winery on the volcanic mountain of Somló.
- All finalists of the category will receive a wine package provided by Tornai Winery.
- All category winners will get invitation to the award ceremony taking place on 19 August 2021 in the Castle of Siklós (Villány, Hungary).
Tamlyn was born in Zimbabwe and had a wine-deprived upbringing. It wasn’t until she arrived in the UK at the age of 21 that she discovered wine, and her education started on the very bottom shelf with Blue Nun plonk. By the time she was 30, she was so obsessed with wine that she put herself through the WSET diploma and then gave up a well-paid, senior position in IT to start all over again – this time working for Jancis Robinson, where she has been for the last 12 years.
Richard is an award-winning business editor with over 25 years experience working across a number of fields including drinks, computing, grocery retail, convenience and travel. As well as running his own editorial and business consultancy he has just launched his own B2B website for the premium on-trade, www.The-Buyer.net, with his business partner, Peter Dean. Throughout his career Richard has built a reputation for campaigning journalism that gets to the heart of the business issues that really matter to his readers.
Sebestyén has been a wine writer and wine event organizer for nearly two decades. A wine writer with unique tone, and recently a blog owner with frequent posts (https://nagysebestyen.hu). A regular contributor to market leader VinCE Magazine, founder and speaker of Borjour wine magazine on television. Organizer of several smaller and larger scale wine events under the name Borjour.