Tokaj Late Harvest: Incredibly Best Value
VinCE Magazine, Hungary’s leading wine magazine has just released its latest issue with a panel tasting of late harvest wines from all over the country.
As it turned out from the tasting, the category of late harvest wines is one to watch: the best examples are balanced with pleasant acidity, and their price is affordable. The majority of these wines are fermented and aged in stainless steel, and the maturing period is shorter than that of the Tokaji Aszú wines, and due to this and the lower sugar content they are easier to drink.
The top 7 wines of the tasting:
– PAJZOS TOKAJI HÁRSLEVELŰ LATE HARVEST, Pajzos Tokaj, Tokaj, 2013, ***** VinCE award
– OREMUS LATE HARVEST CUVÉE, Oremus, Tokaj, 2014, *****
– HUMMEL VILLÁNYI HÁRSLEVELŰ GLÜCKSELIGKEIT, Hummel Winery, Villány, 2013, **** 17,45
– CSERSZEGI FŰSZERES LATE HARVEST, Bezerics Borház, Zala, Orosztony, 2015, **** 17,26
– SZENT GYÖRGY-HEGYI OLASZRIZLING, Szászi Endre, Badacsony, 2014, *** 16,98
– PATRICIUS TOKAJI LATE HARVEST „KATINKA”, Patricius Borház, Tokaj, Bodrogkisfalud, 2013, **** 16,80
– HANNA CSEREPESI SÁRGAMUSKOTÁLY, N. A. G. Borművek, Mátra, Gyöngyöstarján, 2011, **** 16,75
The best price–value wine of the above is ‘Katinka’ from Patricius Winery. As the description in the magazine says, it has a “golden colour. Charming, intense nose with apricot and citrus fruits. On the palate it is also clean, beautiful sugar-acidity balance, dried tropical fruit flavours, lovely, lush apricot. Velvety, creamy structure and long, wonderful finish”.
And the price? Retail price around 10 euros.