Borbély Family Winery
One family, two generations
Borbély Family Winery is indeed a winery of which duties the whole family takes part in: both the founder Gyula and his wife, Gabriella, and both the second generation represented by Tamás and Diána. The style of the wines are determined by the young, energetic and enthusiastic winemaker, Tamás, who has already been nominated for the prestigious Winemaker of the Year award for seven times (between 2012–2018).
Winemaking is more than a profession for him, he has been preparing for this mission all his life. It is due to his concept that the wines reflect the characteristics of their precious terroir.
The beginning 0.5 hectare plot has increased to 23 hectares by now, which is an ideal size for the family: it is still possible to handle and at the same time it is large enough to give the freedom to create a wide range of wines. Apart from the centre of the estate they have vineyards on five mountains of Badacsony wine region: Badacsony, Gulács, Tóti, Csobánc and Bács mountains.
Guests are welcome!
The most important challenge of the recent years has been to establish and develop the wine tourism pillar of the winery. In the spring of 2014 a new wine terrace and a wine shop have opened in Badacsony, their Guest House (accommodating up to 10 people) has been renovated and altered to be suitable for winter as well and their tasting room has been enlarged to seat groups of up to 60 people all year long. But there is no need to fear of industrial like hospitality: it is still Gabriella who prepares home made, delicious dishes for the guests! For a tasting in the spacious tasting room fresh salty bakery, home made cold cut and sausage platter, artisan cheese is offered, and hot meal can also be ordered upon advance request.
2018 – a good year
The year 2018 was a most fruitful year for the winery full of success! They achieved several national and international acknowledments, and the winery was especially delighted because the flagship variety of the cellar, Olaszrizling received a lot of appreciation (the name of the variety is written together, but in the name of the wines below Olasz rizling is written in two words).
– Olasz rizling Ice Wine 2015 won gold medal at VinAgora international contest.
– Olasz rizling Ice Wine 2015 won gold medal at Aranytőke international Olaszrizling contest and was selected the best sweet wine of the competition.
– Badacsonyi Olasz rizling Late Harvest 2015 received gold medal at Aranytőke international Olaszrizling contest.
–’KARÓS’ Badacsonyi Olasz rizling limited selection 2015 won gold medal at National Wine Contest.
– Two Borbély wines were selected by Winelovers Great Selection TOP 10: Bács hegy Badacsonyi Olasz rizling on the 6th place and Nász a Bácsony Badacsonyi Olasz rizling limited selection 2016 on the st place (this latter is a very limited quantity wine, only 400 bottles were made, they are available only at the cellar).
Some recent acknowledgements
– „kinnagangon” Badacsonyi Pinot Noir Rosé 2022: gold medal, Veszprém Wine Contest, Hungary
– Tomaj Badacsonyi Rózsakő – Olasz rizling – Kéknyelű 2022: grand gold medal, Szent György mountain wine contest
– Badacsonyi Kéknyelű Selection 2020: gold medal, best producer, Badacsony Kéknyelű Wine Contest
– Karós Badacsonyi Olasz rizling Limited Selection 2019: gold medal, National Wine Competition
– Badacsonyi Zeus late harvest 2019: gold medal, National Wine Competition
Badacsonyi Kéknyelű Selection 2020
The characteristics of the variety are nearly identical with those of the salty-mineral tones of the basalt of the terroir. These notes are finely spiced with the signs of oak ageing.
Bács-hegy Badacsonyi Olasz Rizling 2020
Apart from the characteristics of the variety, ripened fruit and some subtle oaky tones in the background can be discovered both on the nose and the palate. The unique character of the terroir is also reflected in this complex wine.